Our giveaway ended, by the way, last night. Congrats to the winner, Tori! We've sent you an e-mail and hope you love your prizes.
Hi Of Corgis and Cocktail readers! My name is Amanda, and I'm super excited to be borrowing Katherine's blog for the day. I blog over at Amanda K. by the Bay, where I post about food, style, my daily life and lots in between. This summer I am on a mission to make a new ice cream flavor every week, so I thought it would be fun to share one of my favorites so far...Nutella cookie ice cream. I had you at Nutella, didn't I?
Making ice cream is pretty easy, but it does require an ice cream machine. They are a little bit of an investment (I bought this one) but they are so worth it! You can make frozen yogurt, gelato, sorbet, and any ice cream flavor you can dream up. This Nutella ice cream is rich, creamy and loaded with soft cookie pieces. Of course if tons of cookies are not your thing, feel free to add less. That's the beauty of making your own ice cream!
Nutella Cookie Ice Cream (recipe heavily adapted from Food Network)
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs yolk
1/2 cup Nutella Oreo cookies, filling removed and roughly chopped (I used approximately 13 cookies)
1. In a saucepan, combine the milk, cream and 1/4 cup sugar over medium heat. Cook until sugar dissolves.
2. Meanwhile in in a bowl whip the egg yolks with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar using an electric mixer until the eggs become thick and pale yellow. Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture into the egg mixture and stir. Add this mixture back into the saucepan with remaining milk and sugar mixture.
3. Cook over very low heat stirring constantly until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 7 to ten minutes)
4. Place a strainer over a medium bowl and pour the warm custard mixture through the strainer. Stir in Nutella and whisk until it dissolves. Place mixture in the fridge and chill completely (I recommend overnight).
5. Pour mixture into your ice cream maker and once it's the texture of soft serve, add Oreo cookies. Place in an airtight container and freeze until firm. Enjoy!